Sunday, March 17, 2019

Truent and Technical Damage at Muninn's Post

Vancouver metal bands Truent and Technical Damage played Muninn's Post on Saturday night (March 16, 2019) with supporting acts The Unending and Eden Echo. As far as I knew this was still one of Eden Echo's first live shows. They have maybe a half dozen under their belt. This was also The Unending's first show in a long time with a new lineup too.

I also had the pleasure of meeting a number of new people whom I struck up conversation with. One woman coming from Vernon to see the shows at the Post due to the lack of metal culture in Vernon. As we touched on in our dialogue Vernon does have the odd metal show and the blackened death metal band Xul hails from there as well. It is not a lost cause! Also, as she told me, it is worth driving the 45 or so minutes to Kelowna for a show. She also has a relative in a black metal band called SVNEATR which is coming to town this year. I'll be contacting them for an interview. I listened to their album and really dig their old school style of black metal.

There was one man I met who had said that he had been going to metal concerts in Kelowna since the 80's. The other night when Enterprise Earth and Aethere were in town was the first time he was turned away at the door because the show was sold out. This show is the second sold out this week. It is starting to feel like metal is really on the verge of becoming something bigger in this area.

Eden Echo

Eden Echo presented their songs very well. The style felt a little like a slight mix of Jari's Ensiferum meets his first Wintersun album. Very creative with tons of different vocal styles and musical influences. These guys have a great opportunity to tighten their sound and continue creating awesome music!



YouTube playlist (2 songs)

The Unending

Wow, I was very impressed with The Unending. I had the pleasure of talking with Tyler a couple evenings before. He will be on the podcast in the future to discuss this band along with his metal history. This was their first show in, if memory serves me correct, five years and Tyler has been writing music for 9-10. These songs sounded very tight, interesting and very hard hitting. All the members had a fantastic onstage presence and were 100% into the show.

The Unending was a pleasure to watch and I'm looking forward to seeing them again. I had a difficult time describing the style so I will just let the videos do that for me.


YouTube playlist (4 songs)

Technical Damage

Technical Damage has this machine like sound to their tone, riffs and licks. It sounds unique to my ears and wasn't something I could really get into at first. I had listened to their Bandcamp songs enough that I purchased their newest release and continued to listen to it for some time. Eventually it grew on me and I quite enjoy it now. They put on a great set. Lots of intensity and I highly enjoyed it.


YouTube playlist (3 songs)

Truent

These guys put on a hell of a show. Great stage presence and very tight sounding. Unfortunately the singer and guitarist Johnny Roodenrys had an injured hand so not only was he unable to play guitar but also had to cut the set short. He still put on a fantastic show despite his injury. The entire band did.

I purchased their EP off Bandcamp after they so graciously asked me to for listening to it too much. I felt they had the potential to put on a great show with their style mixing (which sounds to my ears like) Lamb of God, early SYL and System of a Down. They absolutely did not disappoint.

YouTube playlist (4 songs)

No comments:

Post a Comment