Friday, March 15, 2019

Enterprise Earth and Aethere at Muninn's Post

Spokane Deathcore band Enterprise Earth was playing at Muninn's Post last night along with supporting acts Aethere, Vultures from Victoria and local hardcore band Ugly playing their first live gig.

I had never been to a deathcore gig before and I thought there would be no better time to start than today with a sold out show at Muninn's Post. In fact I haven't really listened to deathcore in general. So I took the opportunity to listen to the bands all afternoon before going to the gig. Aethere struck me as more technical and death influenced than core so it was a lot easier for me to get into and I quite enjoy their newest album Open My Wounds. So seeing them live was going to be interesting to see how they performed their songs.

Ugly was the opening act. A local hardcore band playing their first live gig in support of their new release VILE. I'm kicking myself for not have gotten pictures or video. They put on a good show, sounded very tight and had me second guessing if Vultures were actually playing. The topless singer wearing a balaclava was a great touch and was very fitting to the lyrics. I'd definitely watch them perform again!

Vultures

Vultures also put on a good show. It was entertaining to watch them from the back. Everyone was quite into it and the music sounded good. Hardcore is something also I haven't really gotten into though I definitely see the appeal.

Aethere put on a great show and the crowd was really into it! Lots of moshing and crowdsurfing. It was really awesome to see how supportive the fans were with the crowdsurfing. Deciding between songs who's going to be hoisted up and then everyone doing their part in carrying the crowdsurfer away from the stage. It looked like a lot of fun and really helps bring the people together to help one another out.


Aethere - Ash of Existence:


Aethere - Open My Wounds:


Enterprise Earth seemed to put on a really good show as well. I was very conflicted by these guys. Their albums sounded very deathcore without much death metal influence (unlike Aethere). Because of that it didn't really sit well with me. I was waiting to see them live to see if their live performance changed my opinion. Sadly it didn't really. I will have to give this band another chance to try and get into deathcore.

From what I have heard of the genre so far I understand the fushion of core/punk and death metal. It is an interesting blend that produces some styles that are very different from traditional metal genres.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the show Saturday night at Muninn's Post. Local acts Eden Echo and The Unending supporting Truent and Technical Damage from Vancouver.

Horns up!

No comments:

Post a Comment